Agribusiness plays a primary role in the local commercial vitality and also makes a significant economic impact statewide. Promoting innovative and flexible use of our fertile land and optimum growing conditions is a cornerstone of local agricultural practice. Agriculture production, crop sales and livestock sales combined totaled $76.1 million in 2007, which increased 107% over 2002. We are 7th in the state for agriculture production – up from 13th at the time of the 1997 Census of Agriculture. Orange County also proudly claims to be:
1st in Virginia for the value of sales in the Nursery, Greenhouse, Floriculture and Sod commodity group. Some major employers established in this commodity are:
- Battlefield Farms
- American Color
- Somerset Seed & Sod
- 3rd in Virginia for the total value of crops including Nurseries and Greenhouses.
- 3rd in Virginia for the total value of sales in the Horses, Ponies, Mules, Burros, and Donkeys commodity group.
- 3rd in Virginia for number of acres bearing grapes (181 acres) and 3rd in the state for tons produced . Orange County is home to award-winning vineyards: Barboursville Vineyards, Horton Vineyards, and Reynard Florence Vineyard. All of which are located in Barboursville, VA.
- 5th in Virginia for top livestock inventory for the Turkeys commodity group.
- 17th in Virginia for employment in the Horse Industry.
Top 10 Virginia Counties in Farm Income (1)
|County||Cash Receipts ($ millions)|
(1) Virginia Farm Bureau, "Field Crops, Virginia Ag Facts"