Agribusiness plays a primary role in the local commercial vitality and also makes a significant economic impact statewide. Promoting innovative and flexible use of our fertile land and optimum growing conditions is a cornerstone of local agricultural practice. Agriculture production, crop sales and livestock sales combined totaled $76.1 million in 2007, which increased 107% over 2002. We are 7th in the state for agriculture production – up from 13th at the time of the 1997 Census of Agriculture. Orange County also proudly claims to be:
1st in Virginia for the value of sales in the Nursery, Greenhouse, Floriculture and Sod commodity group. Some major employers established in this commodity are:
- Battlefield Farms
- American Color
- Somerset Seed & Sod
- 3rd in Virginia for the total value of crops including Nurseries and Greenhouses.
- 3rd in Virginia for the total value of sales in the Horses, Ponies, Mules, Burros, and Donkeys commodity group.
- 3rd in Virginia for number of acres bearing grapes (250 acres) and 2nd in the state for tons produced (1,042) according to the Virginia Wine Board "2013 Commercial Grape Report" (p.4). Orange County is home to award-winning vineyards: Barboursville Vineyards, Horton Vineyards, and Reynard Florence Vineyard. All of which are located in Barboursville, VA.
- 5th in Virginia for top livestock inventory for the Turkeys commodity group.
- 17th in Virginia for employment in the Horse Industry.
Top 10 Virginia Counties in Farm Income (1)
|County||Cash Receipts ($ millions)|
(1) Virginia Farm Bureau, "Field Crops, Virginia Ag Facts"